Saturday, October 5, 2013

2nd Lining: Make it or Break it Time!


I know everyone has been anxiously awaiting an update and I apologize for the lack of information over the past few weeks.  September was a crazy month of ups and downs for me (awful news, good news, bad news, followed by good news & homecoming) at times I feel lucky I made it out of September with my sanity.  It did sit down a few times and attempt to blog and update about everything going on but never could finish anything that made much sense.

Mid- September I received a very, very unexpected phone call from my mom informing me I had to drop what I was doing and get home.  Being that 'Miguel' was 2 weeks shy of coming home I assumed he decided to do a surprise homecoming and so I found myself racing home expecting to see him sitting on our porch swing  - instead I found my best friend waiting for me.  Typically it would not have been a big deal, she knows the door is always open for her invited or not, but there was something very different this time.  I came in and saw her oddly hanging out - I walked down the hall and peaked around the corner thinking I would see my husband sitting on the couch, but again I was wrong the couch was empty.  I had seen that face before, a face that does not need to speak a word you just know something is terribly wrong.  Of course the first thought comes to a military wife, especially in the mist of a deployment, is of course the worst case scenario ... he's dead ... or critical injuries, and before a word is even spoken you are already planning on fast you can get on a plane to Germany.  

Thankfully I was not needing to plan my flight to Germany but the news wasn't to much better.  It was news, very unexpected, shocking, and unimaginable new that my dad had past away!  I had seen him all of a few days before hand, for the most part he was healthy as a horse but the Lord decided it was his time and called him on in the middle of the night.  He passed away in his sleep and was found that morning lying peaceful in bed, I guess that is the way we all want to go - but still it was horrific news.  






That news came on Friday morning and shortly after that ... Sunday to be exact ... it was time for the “make it or break it” lining appointment with my “BB".  We were needing for a minimum lining of 8.5/9mm, anything less than that and the transfer would have to be called off again.  It was a crazy day; delayed flight time and a Jewish holiday for my doctor which made for non-negotiable hours at the clinic, they would be unable to stay open for us.  I stayed behind as “BB” did the traveling, which ended up working out due to the news of my daddy I received a few days prior.  The flight from SD to LV is about 45 mins, which typically would be nothing, but when long delays come about, it makes for a very stressful day of travel.  By the time she landed in LV (a few hours later than what the flight was scheduled for) she ended up having to make a mad dash from the terminal to the rental car place.  At this point I can only envision elbows being thrown in crazy 'Home Alone' airport scene, only to find the line a mile long at the car rental facility ... so off to find Mario Andrei in his bright yellow taxi!  She got there within minutes of the clinic closing.  At this point both her and I needed a few of those airplane shots ... or blood pressure pills.  I still think a great addition to the waiting office at SIRM is a mini-bar, something more than water, coffee and tea to take the edge off ... I know I am not the only one that needs a shot or two to calm me!  

It was a long wait from the time she walked into the office to the time an email was sent out from my nurse, really probably only a half-hour but it felt like a lot longer, but as soon as I heard that lovely little “DIIING” on my phone I popped open my email and there in big bold caps from my nurse was “SHE DID IT, LINING WAS 9mm!”  And a few minutes later my phone was ringing with my awesome nurse on the other line.  It was a shock to everyone in that clinic, including me (and probably even her) that her lining made the cut – I think everyone involved took this news with wide open mouths.  This was truly a miracle in an of itself!!
She was sent home with new meds, a new med calendar and the official transfer date was set for 9/15 ... this was really happening.  

And with that I leave you on a cliff hanger ... I will update early this week about the transfer!

No comments:

Post a Comment